A SIMPLE, YET CLEVER, OPEN PLAN RENOVATION.
Top floor interior house renovation in Cromer on Sydney’s Northern Beaches.
Last renovated in the 1980s, the top floor of this family home was due for a refresh. A series of internal walls separated the space into small rooms. Needless to say, the old cork flooring was way past its used-by-date.
To take advantage of the size and scale of the upper storey, we removed all the internal walls. This instantly opened up the area and light flooded in, transforming the space.
The before photo (see gallery below), clearly shows how the removal of unnecessary internal walls can transform a space. Where there was once dark, small rooms, there is now a vast, open plan living area that flows seamlessly from the kitchen to the dining area, living room and out to the entertainer’s patio.
A feature of the new kitchen was the striking marble island bench and matching splashbacks.
We removed the small doors that led out to the patio and replaced them with huge sliding doors. The light that now floods into the interior is spectacular.
The stairs leading to the downstairs bedrooms, were previously boxed in by a wall, it is now a feature of the room with transparent, glass safety screens installed to replace the wall.
We installed custom joinery in the living area that seamlessly integrated the gas heater. These alcoves were carried through onto the large, bare wall (behind the stairs) with integrated downlights so the owner could feature artwork to break up this large, plain expanse.
New blackbutt flooring was added throughout. This was carried throughout to the renovated stairs and downstairs areas.
This renovation is a perfect example of capitalising on the great bones of a property and utilising what’s available.
- Remove internal walls from upper level.
- Remove existing doors and windows. Install new windows and expansive sliding doors.
- New Gyprock walls, cornices and skirting boards. Alcoves in living room wall.
- New blackbutt flooring throughout including stairs and downstairs foyer.
- Staircase renovation. Glass safety screens installation.
- Custom joinery in the living room with gas heater integration.
- Full kitchen renovation including marble island bench and splashback.
- Install light fixtures and downlights.