A BIG HOUSE FOR A BIG FAMILY.
This building project involved a third-storey addition plus complete interior and exterior renovation of this expansive home in Balmoral on Sydney’s Lower North Shore.
This two storey property, on Sydney’s upmarket lower north shore, boasting expansive views of Balmoral. As the owner’s family grew, they wanted a third storey added to accommodate their needs. Best of all, the higher we went, the more breathtaking the views!
The first floor of this property, at entry level, wasn’t touched and we concentrated on the existing second story (which became the middle level) and new third-storey addition. The new addition would comprise a new bathroom and three bedrooms, all with walk-in robes.
With three of the bedrooms moved upstairs to the new addition, we were able to open up open up the middle level to create an expansive, open plan living and kitchen area that flowed seamlessly out to the huge, undercover entertaining terrace.
One of the former bedrooms was transformed into a large TV room, complete with 8 seater dining table to accommodate family gatherings and celebrations.
The kitchen was moved and extended to feature a huge island bench and substantial cabinetry.
The master suite, which remained on the middle floor, was extended to include a walk-in robe (formerly the old kitchen). Larger windows were installed to better showcase the view.
The terrace was retiled and a large, all-weather roof was installed complete with downlights. The old railing was replaced with frameless glass so as not to obstruct the leafy outlook and expansive views of Balmoral.
Externally, the brick exterior was rendered and painted light grey. A new Colorbond roof was installed and windows to match – all in Monument, a contemporary charcoal grey colour.
- Third storey addition comprising three bedrooms, walk-in robes and bathroom.
- Remove walls on second level to create a large, open plan living area.
- Add large, bi-fold doors opening up to expansive outdoor terrace.
- Retile the terrace and add new roof. Replace old terrace railing with frameless glass railing.
- Convert former bedroom into TV room.
- New kitchen installation (moved to a new location).
- Extend the master suite. Install new window. Add walk-in-robe.
- New flooring and carpet on second and third levels.
- New Gyprock walls, cornices and skirting boards. Paint.
- Render entire house exterior. Paint.
- New Colorbond roof.
- Install new windows throughout.